For awhile now I’ve been toying with the thought of sharing vegan recipes. My post on making vegan lattes to was my way of getting a feel of the sort of responses I would get and it was all positive! You guys have given me the push I need to get in the kitchen and really want this to become something, so thank you guys! Thanks for your support, kind words, and willingness to take the time out of your day to comment and look at the blog. Last post I mentioned we were going to Tenerife, part of the Canary Islands, and I am strangely inspired by the sheer lack of vegan options we had available when we ate out. We were staying at a rental house with my husbands side of the family on the South side of the Island near Los Cristianos and Playa de la Americas, so, it wasn’t incredibly touristy and made our own meals the majority of the time. This helped out a lot, however, when you do go out to eat all you see is meat, meat, cheese, eggs, and meat.
Tenerife is part of Spain which is known for Tapas, little portions of various foods usually served with wine, and there are plenty of Tapas bars and restaurants where we were staying. Sadly, the options for vegans was few or none and difficult to communicate because we don’t speak Spanish and most people didn’t know what vegan meant. It’s such a shame because Tapas can very easily be completely vegan! To jump start the Vegan Recipe portion of Simply Beautiful I have two recipes Perfect for a Tapas date night that I know you’ll love because I was literally dancing around the house giddy with excitement. It was SO delicious!
Zucchini & Mushroom Bruschetta
- 1 large zucchini (2 small will work also)
- 8-12 button (white) mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large red onion
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp of each: black pepper, oregano, basil
- 3-4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
TO PREPARE (10 min.)
- Finely chop your garlic and onions and chop your Zucchini and mushrooms into small 1-2cm cubes. Heat a saucepan on medium-high heat on your stove. Add a tbs of olive oil along with the finely chopped garlic and onions to your pan and sautee for about a minute or 2 being careful not to burn your garlic. Add in your zucchini and mushrooms and allow them to brown slightly before adding more liquids. After a few minutes add in the rest of the olive oil, pepper, salt, oregano, and basil, stirring occasionally. When the zucchini and mushrooms are tender (not mushy), take off the heat and aside set in a bowl. Stir in the balsamic vinegar adding more olive oil if needed. Serve warm or cold, either way is delicious! with slices of toasted baguette and olives.
*This also makes a wonderful topping for pasta and white bean salads*
Simple Tomato Bruschetta
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper optional
TO PREPARE (5 min)
- roughly chop the tomatoes, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano and basil. Salt and pepper is optional. Organic cherry tomatoes have so much flavor that I don’t salt mine but if yours taste a little plain than a tiny bit will help bring out the flavors. Serve as a topping with a fresh or toasted baguette.
*top along with green olives for more flavor*
Serve these two bruschettas together with some olives, nuts, and your choice of wine for a delicious tapas. It’s great for parties, date nights, or for when you want to have a snack with your wine after a long day. Either way it’s simple and delicious.
Until next time!